Sunday 24 March 2013

Brown Bread Sandwich Topped with Semolina Upma and cheddar cheese-Leftover Sandwich Recipe





I love experimenting with leftover food. I have fond childhood memories of my mom churning out some innovative creations with leftover food and sometimes it tastes better than the original!

My Nanu (Grandfather) used to boast often that my mother is a great cook simply not because she cooks well but she has the ability to make innovative creation with limited resources. She could simply use any leftover food in the pantry or refrigerator to cook something that is incredibly tasty and stylish.
What to do with leftover food?? This is a common problem for everyone and i normally hate to throw food. Yesterday I made upma for breakfast and only a portion of it was left over. As usual, I started thinking ways of recycling the upma because I didn’t wanted to eat it in the same form in my next meal. I searched my pantry and the fridge and luckily I got my hands on some brown sandwich bread along with some cheddar cheese and here comes the recipe of “Brown Bread Sandwich Topped with Upma and Cheddar cheese. I added the ingredients according to my taste and prepared yummy sandwiches out of leftover upma. Surprisingly, this recipe turned out to be a healthy snack option and tasted quite good. I served it to my husband with tea and he instantly liked it and couldn't figure out what he was having. Given the good feedback, I thought it is worth sharing the recipe with everyone. It is also a good way to encourage kids to have upma in form of sandwiches.
This might not be a very great recipe but not a bad option for a quick snacking :)
Here is the Recipe:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: Under 15 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Ingredients:

Left Over Upma: 1 cup
Onion: I finely chopped
Fresh Mint Leaves: Few sprigs finely chopped
Green Chilli: One finely chopped
Salt: As per Taste:
Oil: For Grilling Sandwiches
Cheddar Cheese: Grated ½ Cup

Method:

1.    Cut the breads into triangle shape and toast them on either pan or oven. Make sure they are crisp enough to have a crusty base. You may apply a little butter while toasting.
2.    Now add all the ingredients together with the upma except the cheese and mix it well to hold it tight as a sandwich topping. Check seasoning and add salt accordingly.
3.    Now layer the bread toast with the upma topping mixture and set aside for 2 minutes.
4.    Heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and cook the sandwiches on both the sides for 5 minutes over low flame until they turn golden. Don’t overcook them.
5.    Now sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the sandwich and grill it in the microwave oven for 2 minutes till the cheese melts.
6.    You can now serve these sandwiches with your choice of dip or simply with any ketchup.


Now the sandwiches are ready to eat and savor the goodness of semolina and whole wheat bread.
Happy tasting and keep enjoying the food for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment